Monday, December 21, 2009

Farewell, Sara and Snow...

I woke to a quiet and gray morning last Friday - the day my horses went away. It was a bittersweet day. Although gray, there was a magical light snow falling to lift me up. I knew the outcome of the horses' placement was the best possible scenario; a dream come true under sad circumstances. My Sara went to her horse sitter and trainer who loves her like I do. She'll have a home for life there. Snow went to an old time friend and confidant who will take care of her like I would. I'll be able to see both horses from time to time.


Everything went as planned. We loaded both horses into my friend's trailer. We knew Sara wouldn't go anywhere without Snow. But, they would be soon parted as planned, with Sara off-loading first at her new home down the road from us, and Snow staying in the trailer to head on down to my friend's place.



Sara loaded and off-loaded like a champ. It was like she knew. Snow had been loaded first at our place as planned and she loaded like the sweetheart that she is. Knowing Snow was on the trailer, Sara obliged and followed suit. Of course it helped that the three of the people who loved her most were present and accounted for.


I couldn't go with them to Sara's new home; I said my goodbyes at our farm. My husband followed the trailer behind my friend and got her off-loaded at her new home. When he came back, he said the event had bothered him more than he anticipated. He took a picture of her in her new home. I know he cried.



I heard from my friend later that day about Snow and all things went well for her too. She's settling in with her new friends. I miss her already.


Sometimes life takes a turn you don't anticipate. After having Sara for 20 years, I never expected to have to give her up. She was part of the family. I have her "baby shoes" somewhere...


Now, we'll be able to spend more time up north without worrying about the horses at home (even though they did have the best of care). "Teddy" (our mini-dox),is our "only child" now with the horses gone and we're "empty-nesters" with our children all grown. Of course I had 500 chickens once, but that's a whole 'nother story...

No comments:

Post a Comment